Congo sex

Duration: 10min 29sec Views: 1465 Submitted: 29.11.2020
Category: Brunette
Tags: congo+sex
The World Health Organization says it has created a commission to investigate allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation committed by WHO workers during the response to the tenth Ebola virus epidemic in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The two-year-long epidemic was officially declared over on June 25, Some 2, people have died. According to the Reuters news agency, the allegations of sexual assault come from 30 women against men, who said they were working for the WHO.

WHO names independent body to investigate Congo sex abuse claims

WHO names independent body to investigate Congo sex abuse claims | Reuters

The humanitarian world has pledged to combat the scourge of sexual abuse within its ranks following shock revelations of alleged exploitation in the Democratic Republic of Congo. In a report published this week, more than 50 women levelled accusations against aid workers from the World Health Organization WHO , other UN agencies and major non-governmental organisations during the Ebola crisis in the volatile eastern DR Congo. A year-long investigation by the Thomson Reuters Foundation and The New Humanitarian contained allegations of sexual exploitation, including propositioning women, forcing them to have sex in exchange for a job, or terminating contracts when they refused. The WHO insisted Friday it was taking the "horrific" allegations "deadly seriously" and had launched an investigation. I do not think they will back down in the face of international organisations," said the gynaecologist, who defends female victims of sexual violence. The UN says it has learned from previous sexual abuse scandals, such as that involving peacekeepers in the Central African Republic in and The WHO played a leading role in the response to the Ebola crisis, which was declared over on June

UN, NGOs shaken by DR Congo sex abuse claims

In an investigation published last month by the Thomson Reuters Foundation and The New Humanitarian, more than 50 women accused aid workers from the WHO and leading charities of demanding sex in exchange for jobs during the crisis. Leading the WHO inquiry will be Aichatou Mindaoudou, former minister of foreign affairs and of social development of Niger, and Julienne Lusenge, a Congolese human rights activist, the U. Mindaoudou has been a U. The two co-chairs will choose up to five other people with expertise in sexual exploitation and abuse, emergency response, and investigations to join the commission, the WHO said.
DR Congo said Thursday it would launch an inquiry into accusations that international workers in an anti-Ebola campaign had sexually abused local women. We are going to set up an investigative team which will go to North Kivu province to carry out the inquiry there," Health Minister Eteni Longondo told a press conference in Kinshasa. The year-long probe by the Thomson Reuters Foundation and The New Humanitarian news organisation took testimony from more than 50 women. They said they were sexually propositioned, forced to have sex in exchange for a job or had their contracts terminated when they refused.